'Ayam Masak Merah' or Chicken in Spicy Tomato Sauce tastes great when served with plain rice or coconut milk rice.
This is one of my personal favourites. The saltiness and spiciness of the yummy thick tomato sauce make this dish explodes with flavours to tantalize your taste buds. Do not mistake this dish with other sweet sour dishes. This is a totally different flavour altogether.
I adore the slight hint of spiciness in the dish. Normally, chicken meat is mixed with plain flour before they are fried. In this recipe, turmeric is added to the flour. The addition of the turmeric enhances the flavour of the fried chicken meat, thus could be eaten just as they are. However, if you are someone like me who loves flooding your plate of rice with gravy, this is the perfect dish for you!
- 1 onions
- 3 cm ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6-8 chillies (dried)
- 550 g poultry
- 1 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 250 ml water
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
Steps to Prepare
- Marinate chicken meat with turmeric powder and a few dashes of salt for 15 minutes.
- Blend ingredients (A).
- Fry chicken meat after they had been marinated for 15 minutes.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil to fry the blended ingredients.
- Add 3 tablespoons of tomato sauce.
- Fry blended ingredients for 2 minutes and then add the diced tomato.
- Once the gravy starts to boil and thickens, add the fried chicken meat.
- Stir until the gravy reaches the desired thickness.