A simple malay dish which is spicy, sweet yet delicious. 'Ayam Masak Kicap' or Soy Sauce Chicken will keep you asking for more.
Let's be honest. Dark coloured dishes do not look appealing to the appetite at all. However, you are in for a surprise if you try this dish. This is one of my favourites when it comes to Malay dishes. The taste is absolutely divine. I knew that this has to be the first recipe to record and share on Nyonya Cooking. This dish is popularly sold at stalls or restaurants. 'Ayam Masak Kicap' or Soy Sauce Chicken is not as plain as it sounds or appears to be. It has a combination of sweet and spicy flavours to it. The gravy itself is enough to keep you begging for more!
- 1 onions
- 3-4 centimeters ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 chilli peppers (fresh)
- 600 grams chicken meat
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
Steps to Prepare
- Blend ingredients (A). Add 1 tablespoon of water to ease the blending.
- Heat up some oil to fry the chicken meat.
- Coat the chicken meat with some corn flour before frying.
- Add some oil into the pan to saute the blended ingredients. Add star anise and cinnamon.
- When the blended ingredients have slightly darkened, add dark soy sauce and some water.
- Let the gravy simmer and add a few dashes of salt.
- Add 1 tsp of honey and sugar (optional).
- Add the fried chicken meat.
- Allow to cook for 15 minutes. Stir from time to time.